“The land flourished because it was fed from so many sources--because it was nourished by so many cultures and traditions and peoples.” ― Lyndon B. Johnson
All discussions regarding Immigration ― both legal and illegal ― must start with the acknowledgement of the human beings involved, and include factual information about immigrants as well as immigration. Immigrants participate in our society and economy at all levels, as taxpayers, business owners, and consumers.
Some statistics about immigrants:
- Immigrants come from a variety educational backgrounds.
- U.S.-born children of immigrants attend college at higher rates than their peers born to native Americans.
- Crime and incarceration rates are lower among immigrants than native born Americans.
- Many undocumented immigrants are prohibited from obtaining a green card because of their current status.
- Fewer than 20% of immigrants live below the poverty level, and immigrants are no more likely than natural born citizens to use social services.
We must create a system that will keep the United States safe while also keeping immigrant families intact.